Llais Ifanc Reloaded

Wednesday, March 24, 2004

It's About Time!

Today the supreme court took up the case of a California atheist who claims the Pledge of Allegiance is, to quote The Guardian, "an unconstitutional government promotion of religion in his daughter's third-grade classroom."

He's right. I find that "under God" (as refered to in the Pledge) is divisive. To me, it's an outdated bat that is used to beat non-Christians over the head with. Think about it. According to Wikipedia:


In 1954...Senator Homer Ferguson of Michigan sponsored a bill to amend the pledge to include the words under God, to distinguish the U.S. from the officially atheist Soviet Union...


It's clear from the above that even in 1954, the phrase "under God" was used as a divisive device.

Before anyone flames me, I am a Christan. I have been one for about 10 years now. In contrast to some, I try to live by and think rationally about the teaching of Jesus and of the Bible in general.

America is a growing, diverse country. Let's celebrate it instead of divisive phrases like this one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home