Llais Ifanc Reloaded

Friday, October 21, 2005

It's gadget time!

Recently Apple and Palm released updates.

First Apple finally added video playback to the iPod. While this has long been expected, to me it is too soon. Besides the stuff avilable on iTunes, there's a real lack of content for a video iPod. My other problem with a viedo iPod is the whole portability aspect. Who would want to watch video on a small screen like that? I have a portable TV with a smaller screen than the new iPod with video has. I don't take it with me all the time due to the fact of the small screen. In short, Apple will have to go a long way to convince me video is the way forward on an iPod.

I am more happy over the updates Palm has made. Palm has finally broken the US$100 mark with a new color model called the Z22 (the name Zire has been dropped). Before this new Z22, all of the previous Zire models were monochrome. Compared to those previous models, the Z22 lacks a SD card slot. For being the first sub US$100 Palm, I guess this was one place were Palm made cuts. If I were buying my first Palm now, the Z22 would be a good choice. But I guess i'm not Palm's target here.

The Tungsten name has been dropped as well with the new generation of this model being known as the TX. Unlike the model I was previously interested in (the Tungsten E2), the TX has a lot a more. A nice addition is Bluetooth (for connecting devices) and Wi-Fi (for wireless Internet access). Combine that with a MP3 player and Documents to Go (a Microsoft Office clone for the Palm), and you have a device that could subvert a laptop!

I can't wait to see it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home