Llais Ifanc Reloaded

Friday, November 17, 2006

Win and deliver

The mid-term elections have come and gone. Everything about them has been written. For fuller coverage, see CNN. What follows is my thoughts about it all.

In Congress, the Democrats performed very, very well. The party has about 229 seats and the GOP has about 200 seats in the House of Representatives. In the Senate, the tally is 49 seats each for the Democrats and the GOP. There are also two independents elected. The two independents have decided to sit with the Democrats, giving the party a working majority. Again, a good thing.

In my mind, there are two reasaons the GOP lost. The first is Iraq. The war hasn't gone well and it appears that i'm not the only one who feels that way. The second is the various scandals. People are tired of those too. Let's hope the Democrats fix both of these issues.

On a local level, I was wishing the Democrats would lose the NC House and Senate. I felt they were there a bit too long; I was also upset by NC House Speaker Jim Black. He's been involved a boatload of scandals lately. It now appears the folks in his distict are close to voting him out. Good for them. A bright spot was the ouster of Pete Bland, the State Senator for my region. I didn't like Bland's adverts and found him and his words empty. The other person much better; she also won!

I'm hoping the work gets done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home