Llais Ifanc Reloaded

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Goodness from the (Apple) tree, Part 1

This time of the year is the time when the fruit company bestows upon us new things from above.

First off, iTunes now has video rentals. They should go from US$ 2.99 for old releases to US$ 3.99 for new ones in the standard DVD quality. HD quality will be a dollar more. However it seems there are two catches. The rentals will be available a month after the actual DVD itself is released and the rentals will last a day. For those who like to take their time to watch movies, I could see this as a problem. Since I have Movies On Demand, I'm used to watching movies a day after I buy them.

Apple and Fox have also entered into a deal where one could could buy a DVD, enter a code on the packaging, and get the movie into iTunes. While this seems good on paper, its more of the DRM I've been trying to get away from.

While these new things may be good and all, I still not convinced about digital video. While I enjoy a YouTube clip on my Palm, I couldn't see myself watching a movie on it.

Now on to the hardware.

Apple has released an update for the iPhone that deals with the mapping feature, SMS, and customization. The iPod touch got the same love as well - with a twist. The mail, mapping, stock quotes, weather forcasts and notes are coming to the touch. There is a catch though: they will cost US$ 20. To be honest, I don't quite get what Apple's doing here. From all appearances it seems the folks who brought the touch before yesterday while those will buy after yesterday will not. I'm sure we will hear about this for the next few days.

All things said, I'm pleased with the new programs on the touch. Now if they would resolve the screen problems on the touch, I might get one.

There was also an Apple TV update that allows folks to buy or use the new rental service and access photos; the price has dropped as well. Speaking as a non-Apple TV person, I guess this is good for them. It must be better than watching that dog.

More soon!

1 Comments:

  • I think the iTunes Movie Rental could be a good idea, if an option for "keeping the movie" is available, that is, after watching the movie, it should allow users to keep (and pay the difference) if they like the movie.

    The problem with iTunes Movie Rental is that in Australia, most ISPs have download quotas. I am lucky that I am with iiNet which provides free quota on iTunes traffice.

    By Blogger Antony Shen, at 12:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home